Typically film cameras have either a metering switch, or it's linked to some
other control (film Rebels will switch metering patterns when set to Manual or
using the AE Lock, my old Nikon FA switched metering modes when set to Manual,
when a button was pressed/locked or when a AI-converted lens was mounted).
Low-end DSLR's usually have a menu option instead.

I prefer the switch. The best I've found is on my Mamiya 645 AE Prism, it's
easy to use without moving the camera away from the eye. The Nikon F100 isn't
bad. The MZ-5n had a good location for the switch, but I had to look at the
camera to know what mode I'm in.

-Adam