Seattle Film Works sold respooled movie film. It wasn't horrible but
it also wasn't C41 process or intended for standard photofinishers'
use. It was designed for printing onto movie stock for a positive and
no one had the setups for it.

I don't know what John's customer had, but I'd just call them and see
if they would come in with the index print again so you can identify
the frames. PITA but weird stuff happens... !

Godfrey