----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Sullivan"
Subject: Re: Chicken or Egg Photo Story - NY Times

> Bill and Tom,
>
> What is a propaganda photo?
> The flag raising at Iwo Jima was an inspirational moment by design.
> It was a premature 'celebration' of victory, 2 days into a grim 30 day
> battle.
> The flag was raised to inspire those fighting on the island below.
>
> The photo took on a propaganda aura based on how the media handled it,
> the events themselves (a difficult battle), and the qualities of the
> photo itself.  The US government used the photo as the centerpiece of
> a massive War Bond drive - the kind of promotional campaign that would
> make Nike look like a lightweight in comparison today.  (Imagine
> financing Vietnam from 'donations' to War Bonds instead of deficit
> spending!)
>
> Propaganda is a loaded word.

Technically, it is information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely
to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc, nothing
more, nothing less.

I'm guessing that had the Vietnam war more going for it than pocket pool
ideology, it would have been more popular, I am sure.

William Robb