Different spin than I was looking at. I'm not saying weather Pentax can
succeed or not. I'm just stating what they have to do. Personal
preferences aside. I agree that Pentax is faced with a dilemma, the same
one that faced them when the MZ-S/MZ-D was going to be introduced.
Pentax thought that by releasing a FF sensor digital camera they would
steal a march on the competition. They didn't reckon with the pace of
technological change, (many saw the Philips sensor as being problematic,
but I think it was the Canon and Kodak FF cameras with Higher resolution
that were the real problem for Pentax, they saw the handwriting on the
wall in big red letters). The same problem applies with the APS sensor.
I expect that Pentax planned to go another year or two before being
faced with Nikon and Konica/Minolta bringing out FF sensor cameras. Now
Nikon has brought out a beauty, and K/M, (Sony), can't be far behind.
They will have to do something or concede to at best 4th place status as
a camera manufacture for the foreseeable future, (which I foresee as not
being a very long one). They've already conceded the smallest DSLR
category to Olympus if all they offer is marginally better picture
performance in a larger package, and have almost all the same features
as Olympus, (with Olympus havening a superior sensor cleaning technology
and "Live View") then New Customers go to the lowest price, longest
feature list, and lets face a local dealer, (backward compatibility in
lenses seems to mean little to most New Users at this level). I've yet
to see a dealer, either big box, or specialty store that carried Pentax
but not Olympus, but plenty that were the other way around.

--
Remember, it’s pillage then burn.