I'm within hours from making a decision regarding a new desktop.

I'm currently using PS2.  The desktop comes with Vista Home Premium, though
it's possible I'll go to XP Pro depending on how performance seems.  I'm on
a laptop at present with Vista Business.  No major complaints after turning
off eye candy, reminders, automatic scheduled processes, and telling it to
look like classic windows.

I'll likely get 1TB of storage.  But there are options.

1.  2 X 500 GB non-RAID SATA drives.
2.  2 X 500 GB configured as RAID 0.
3.  2 X 500 GB configured as RAID 1.

Let's forget option 3 since I can backup to any external drive I want.

To the meat of my question... Ideally the Windows virtual swap file and
Photoshop scratch area are not supposed to be on the same physical disk.
With option 2 though, Windows and CS2 will see 1 big drive.  Who can tell
which physical drive is being utilized for what?  It seems counter to what I
think would be the best approach (which is to have an additional RAID 0
array for PS Scratch, which I won't).

While a little performance may be lost, might it be better to go with a
non-RAID configuration and be sure that Windows swap and Photoshop scratch
are on two independent physical devices? Any one have experience with this
exactly.

Also, I'm a little afraid of RAID 0 and recoverability. Thanks.

Tom C.