The fires in California got me thinking about my image storage and
backup requirements.  I thought, what if I had to leave my house and
only had a few minutes to get the family to safety?  All my kids' and
family pictures are stored digitally and I worry about losing them to
natural disaster or some other tragedy including computer crashes.  So
here is my latest scheme:

All my images (I only have 95GB stored currently) are on one 320GB SATA
drive on my Windows XP Pro box for editing in PSCS3.  The windows system
has 1 other 320GB SATA drive for storage, a 160GB IDE drive for OS and
programs and a 60GB SATA drive for PS scratch.  At ~4am every day I have
an rsync cron job kick off on my Linux system that syncs files from the
Windows box to my Linux box where I have 2x 320GB SATA drives in a RAID
1 set.  The Windows filesystem is mounted via CIFS on the Linux box.

Once a week or more I manually run an rsync command to sync the files
from the Linux box to an external USB drive.  If I have to leave the
house in a hurry I can just grab the external enclosure which is in the
office next to the front door.

A friend added to the paranoia the other day and suggested running
another rsync job to another Linux box at my parents' house for even
more redundancy.  Not a bad idea...  The initial sync would take hours
over the internet but changes and additions would go relatively quickly.

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net