Thanks to all for the suggestions and insight.

I decided to go with the two 500GB drives configured as a RAID 1 array.  I
like the idea of having an automatic, almost real-time backup of the primary
drive.  I also chose this option because drives in general are dirt cheap
and I can install another one or two shortly after getting it.

In fact, I'm likely to install two more 500GB drives, so I have plenty of
space and options for allocating swap and scratch.

I was telling my son how cheap this stuff is. Back in the late '80's I
worked on a project where I recovered 4.5GB of DASD on IBM 3380's.  That was
on my resume for 10 years because it represented over $750K savings to the
company. I took that off several years ago.  4GB drives, if they can be
found anymore are dirt cheap.  A 4GB microdrive goes for under $100, not
mention that 4GB solid state CF are now so inexpensive as to make
microdrives look like dinosaurs.

Tom C.