On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> But...but: you overlook the simple truth: you ~can~ (CAN) ~actually~
> make new (if poor) photographs of those 100 year old photographs from
> those 100 year-old negatives.
> And I'd like to see someone in 20 years dig out a CD from
> under their bed and make a print.
> Ain't gonna happen.

You can still buy record players... CD-ROMs will be around for a
while.  Besides, I can transfer my images every 20 or 30 years, and after
100 years my grandkids can make *perfect* copies of the photos if they
want to, while yours are going to be complaining about the almost
completely faded negatives and prints.  :)

> Besides, photographs or slides don't need a mechanical device to be viewable,
> unlike the CD/DVD/tape/Zip cartridge.

True, but they can fade out after a few decades, leaving you with
nothing.  Then what?

> **What ya gonna do in the year 2050, hold up one of your CD/DVD/Zip/tapes up
> to the light, (as in a slide/negative) so you can see what you have 'cause
> you sure as hoot won't find anything to play a CD/DVD/tape/Zip cartridge on.

Mafud, can you understand that there are advantages and disadvantages with
each method?  Film sucks in some ways, and digital in others.  Film
requires less maintenance, but it has a finite life.  Digital images
require more periodic maintenance, but they can be transferred forever
with no loss in quality.  Different people prefer different methods... try
to realize that yours isn't the One True Way, ok?  :)

chris