----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Brogden"
Subject: WARNING: OT: Re: Points of Order

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Tom Rittenhouse wrote:
>
> > I assume that important images will be transfered to the new
media
> > technology when necessary. And contrary to what I know
someone is
> > going to say about who will have the time, that transfer is
easily
> > automated.
>
> Agreed.  And the nice thing about storage media is that they
are always
> increasing in size.  It took a long time to transfer
information to 60-70
> floppy disks, but then Zip disks came out that could hold all
of those
> files on one 100MB disk.  Now we have CD's that can hold 650MB
of data,
> not to mention the 1GB+ media out there.  Transferring data
will only get
> quicker and quicker.  How hard is it really to spend a few
hours (or even
> an entire day if you have a huge collection) every 20-30 years
> transferring your data?  Doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.

I wish we had been able to do this about 20 years ago. My family
lost it's entire photographic history from my own childhood
because of the vagaries of film permanence. Anyone who thinks
film is a permanent storage media is kidding themselves. Read
the disclaimer on every box of film about how colour dyes may
shift over time, and therefore the product is not warranted
against fading or colour shifting or fading. If they feel the
need to put a disclaimer like that on the box, they are
admitting it is likely going to happen.
I have an aquaintance who works at the Saskatchewan archives.
Apparently, this is an ongoing issue, as they haven't been able
to find a method of storing colour materials that is 100%
reliable. Black and white RC materials have proven unreliable in
many instances as well.
William Robb
William Robb