I had such a laugh reading this :)

I have a EOS 3 and 1v that I use for Wedding
Photography. The problem that I am encountering is
those darn dark reception dance floors. When I used my
3 and 1v cameras and Metz 60ct4 flashes attached I had
to try and manually focus due to the fact that it
doesn't have a focusing eye built into the body like
the lower end cameras. Does the 550ex Canon flash work
well in this situation? Or is there an add on to the
Metz system? Or should I get a lower end Elan camera
with a built in eye for the receptions? Any
suggestions would be great.
2001  |  IP: Logged

Lemming51
Photo Enthusiast
Member # 180
Member Rated:

  posted 13 November 2001 12:29
The 550EX and 420EX have wide-area patterned
near-infrared focus assist light that would eliminate
your problem. The Metz system might have a focus
assist light available, I don't know.
The lower end Elan 7/7e and Rebel 2000 use a
flickering built-in flash and the bright white light
red-eye reduction lamp, respectively, for focus
assist. Many people find these very
distracting/annoying.

The older Elan II/IIe and A2/A2E have a built-in
patterned near-infrared focus assist light. The assist
on the Elan II/IIe can be switched off with a custom
function, and automatically switches off when a Canon
speedlight is attached. I don't know if the assist
would be available if you used your Metz flash with
the Elan II/IIe. The A2/A2E focus assist light can
also be switched off with a custom function, but I
think it's designed so that the assist is NOT
automatically disabled when a flash is attached. I've
read this is because the focus assist light on EZ
speedlights available of the time did not cover the
A2/A2E's outer focus sensors. Maybe someone else can
confirm this.

[ 13 November 2001: Message edited by: Lemming51 ]

Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

<Ed>
unregistered

  posted 13 November 2001 16:53
To add the comments of previous posting, Elan 7 really
suffers auto focusing in dim light situation. I went
to Halloween party at night and had to use manual mode
all the time, otherwise you will miss the kodak
moment. The view finder of Elan 7 is really dark even
when I use 50mm f1.8 and I have had trouble focusing
manually.
IP: Logged

drh681
Photo Enthusiast
Member # 937
Member Rated:

  posted 13 November 2001 23:52
yeah buy the 550ex or a 420ex. You wont be sorry. the
e-ttl flash contol works. the focus assist is very
good, and the 550 will act as a slave controller to
the 420 with out wires.(or other 550s)
Logged

yota5
Photo Enthusiast
Member # 298
Member Rated:

  posted 13 November 2001 23:56
Please allow me reiterate what lemming51 had to say
about Canon Speedlites 550EX and 420EX. "The 550EX and
420EX have wide-area patterned near-infrared focus
assist light that would eliminate your problem." Ed
what this means to you is that your Elan 7, and
jrogers EOS 3 would be able to auto-focus in a totally
dark room.
yota5

2001  |  IP: Logged

Grablife
New Member
Member # 1240
Rate Member
  posted 14 November 2001 02:31
I use a Canon EOS 1V with the Speedlite 550EX and
420EX for wedding shoots. Works like a charm
everytime. In addition to wireless capabilities, these
flashes will link the ETTL function to the active
focus points. I don't think you get that with the
Metz.