Common sense point... :-) ... I only once considered scanning 35 film with a
flat bed scanner.  It was a high-end (for the time) HP something or the
other.  I looked at what the add on attachment cost vs. the price of a
dedicated film scanner which was something like $100 for the attachment vs.
$350 for the dedicated film scanner.  The choice was obvious based on the
value I was getting and film scanners were a pretty nifty item.

There's the right tool for every job and using an all-purpose flat-bed
scanner that was not really designed to scan film as a film scanner is not
using the right tool for the job, as anecdotal evidence bears out. If that's
all one has, then OK, but in a general discussion about film scanning, any
talk about how bad or hard your experience was, is sort of missing the
point.

It's like telling how hard it is to pound in a woodscrew with a tack hammer.
Certainly one can probably accomplish it, but it's not representative of how
to drive in a screw.

Tom C.

Scott