I find this interesting, because I've always wondered what people
were referring to when they complained about vertical banding. I've
posted 200% sections of the two black shirts. The exposure speed here
is probably closer to ISO 1000, even though these were shot at ISO
500. To avoid losing highlights in the background I had to
underexpose the foreground a bit and then brighten the shadows and
midrange in conversion. I'm sure I pushed them up close to a full
stop. With this extreme magnification I can see the colors that make
up the black coming apart. I think it's a stretch to call it vertical
banding. It's normal digital noise, what you'd get with almost any
camera at this high an ISO. The only way I've ever been able to see
something that actually looked like banding was shooting the inside
of the lens cap and pushing it umpteen stops. Here are the clips:
Paul