At 06:23 AM 28/11/2007, John Graves wrote:
>But isn't true that the sharpest focus for a lens is less than wide
>open

Generally yes.

>, so by opening it up you are decreasing overall focus by some amount?

You don't loose much sharpness opening up the 77, but DOF really becomes
shallow.

In the situation that generated my original message, opening up the lens
wasn't an option in any case. I was shooting with a poor mans "studio" (off
camera flash fired through an umbrella) To kill the light spill on the
background (ie, make the background black) I had to shoot around f11-f16.

Cheers,

Dave "I lurv my 77mm f1.8 Ltd" Savage