Mike,

But by decreasing DOF you can effectively concentrate only on that part
of the face that you want to show. For example if the model for some
reason has really ugly ears, by throwing them out of sharply rendered
space you can at least partially solve this problem.

Another point that occurred to me is that given the fact that on digital
you use only part of the image circle of the lens (77 Ltd) you can take
a step or may be even two back away from the model.

What I am really driving at, is that (having had Tamron 90/2.5) 77 Ltd
is very sharp, but it is still not a macro lens. The photographer has
some means to use in order to get softer loon on their picture. But then
again, sometimes one still has no choice but to apply a certain degree
of post processing to the image.

Boris