My experience is a couple of years out of date, but driving was
definitely not recommended.

The locals interpret traffic laws shall we say interestingly and the
police have a tendency to stop people for perceived minor offenses and
issue imaginative on the spot fines, especially if you are a foreigner.

The landscapes are gorgeous, but the architecture less so (think Soviet
brutal style with added decay)

Gabrovo, (about 80 miles N of Plovdiv) was the old capital and may be
worth a visit to the castle.

And, last but by no means least, Plovdiv is prime wine country, so sampe
the local stuff which can be very good indeed.

Finally, it will be cold in February (certainly by British standards).
Expect snow and freezing temperatures.

Peter