In a message dated 12/11/2007 5:38:40 A.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
So, I've got this  friend of a friend who is involved with a chambre
orchestra.  They're  having a concert this weekend.

He looks at some of my stuff, says he  likes it (he likes blurry?).  He
asks if I do "event photography" and  head shots (he's also an actor).
Of course I say "yes!"

He wants  headshot later in the winter.  No problems!

He wants to know if I  can shoot the orchestra during a rehearsal this
weekend.  He wants to  know what my rates are.

The headshots I can can figure out.

What  about the shoot for the orchestra?  He wants them for  publicity
purposes.  I'm thinking a flat fee for the shoot (a hundred or  two?),
plus charging for photos that he wants?  Or just charge for  the
photos?  Or just the flat fee with an agreed upon number of  photos
that I'll give him after he looks at a portfolio of the  shoot?

What should the total be (however I structure it)?  I'm  thinking I'm
shooting the rehearsal for an hour or two, I should make at  least $100
or more, plus have my materials (for prints) covered.

Any  thoughts/advice/warnings?

Thanks!

cheers,
frank

===========
Well,  you have to base your estimate on what you think he will pay. He's
probably  expecting to get a deal. I'd charge an hourly rate ($40-$60) an hour
and include  a CD of high res images in the price (unprocessed). For processed
images on cd  (B&W conversion, cropping, etc.) there is an additional charge..
Prints  extra, but not a lot extra, more in the cents, under a dollar range.
If they  have never used a professional photographer they probably expect
prints to cost  what they do when labs produce them. Pretty much at cost, maybe
few cents  more.

But, then I tend to undercharge (I mean in general, I have never  charged for
photography). You might even go to $75 per hour. He really probably  does
expect a deal, if he hired you from a web page, then he'd probably be
expecting
to pay. Bumping into you, he probably expects a discount.

Well, that's just my opinion. Charging extra for PSing, should bring in
more. But definitely charge for that as an extra fee, it takes a lot of time.
And
no prints without PSing, i.e. he has to pay for PSing for you to make  prints.

Marnie aka Doe  And I have no idea what I am talking about.

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.