[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I said:

> > to shoot a few frames or make a series of exposures of a
> > certain person or group of people, once the flash goes
> > off the mood is ruined, or at least changed,
> > from what I would be trying to capture, that being
> > fleeting moments, subtle interactions, and the dynamics
> > of people in specific situations."

Mafud replied:

> Honestly, you ~truly~ expect to get all
> that from a crowd at a ~car~ show?

And I amplified my remarks:

Yes ... I'm very good at that type of photography.

Mafud continued:

> Maybe if you were speaking of surreptitious shooting
> at an auction of rare gazillion dollar cars you'd find
> your anticipated crowd. But in that crowd, shooting with
> anything less than a Leica "M" and a SUMICRON?(sp) f/1.2,
> 50 mm lens or other, would show others you really didn't
> understand ~where~ you were.

And I replied:

Well, golly-gee-whiz. I certainly plan to use one or two of my Leicas,
and the appropriate Summicrons.  BTW, the Leica 50mm/f1.2 is the early
version of the Noctilux, which has been superseded by the 50mm/f1.0
version.

While Mafud commented further:

> You'd be better off finding the crowd you
> seek shooting in a museum, a place where
> introspective people are part of the ambiance.
> But a CAR SHOW? PLEASE!!

To which I incredulously responded:

Are you suggesting that people don't have interactions at a car show?
That there are no dynamics and relationships between people at a car
show?  If so, you don't know what you're talking about.  people are
people, everywhere, and in every venue.  And frankly, having been to
several major auto auctions, I can tell you that there's more
interesting stuff happening at the car show, not that there's nothing
interesting happening at an auction.

Then Mafud rambled further, having missed an earlier point:

> But ... but, you actually WANT to get all
> those yucky colors? PLEASE! Or are you saying
> you didn't know that shooting ~color~ film under
> mixed lighting would give mixed results?

And I reiterated:

What did I just say?  It's a learning experience for me.  I rarely shoot
color, so I don't know what kind of results I'll get.

Mafud quoting me and commenting:

> " No flash is needed for B&> don't have to worry about color balance and
> > custom printers, and I can concentrate on the subjects at hand."

> But ...but you gave ~no~ indication of all that in your question. Your
> question, worded as it was, led me and others to believe you were going to
> shoot the ~show~, the stars of which are...cars, with beautiful, glossy paint
> jobs, the shooting of which without flash would give you yucky (color
> print/slide) results.

And I answered:

Well, that's what you chose to read into my question.  Here's exactly
what I wrote:

        "The San Francisco Auto Show is coming up, and
        it may be nice to grab a few color snaps of the
        folks drooling over the new offerings.  I rarely
        shoot color neg, so a few suggestions would be
        helpful.  It seems like this is a job for one of
        those Fuji films with the extra layer, to take
        care of the fluorescent lighting, right?"

See, not a word was said about photographing the cars, just "the folks
drooling over the new offerings."

Then Mafud asked a question which was answered earlier:

> But in color, under the variety of lighting found in each
> venue? You'd need filter(s) and luck to get what you asked.

And I reiterated:

Indeed - and filters were suggested and I noted that I'd look into
getting some.  I also asked about specific colored filters in subsequent
messages.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]