A scroll of mail from "lbparis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Sat, 17 Nov 2001
09:49:52 -0600
Read it? y
>That's just your interpretation of the facts.  In actuality,
>they are just hoping that, if they pretend you're not there,
>perhaps they'll be able to escape with their lives.

I think this is a very harsh response.  I'm guessing you find it very
difficult to get natural, candid shots of people doing their normal
everyday stuff.

I'm similar: I think people will object to me sticking a camera in
their faces and so they do.  Friends who believe that people like
being photographed get much better results.

I think it's a sort of personality projection.  If you radiate a field
of 'harmless photographer, just an ordinary bloke' you get on better
with people than if you radiate 'big-nose camera man'.

>I find that hard to believe.  It's just not the picture of the
>"Shel Bellicose" I've seen in action here in the PDML.  But I'll
>grant the possibility that you are unaware of how intimidating
>you are.

The most amazing people are capable of 'stealth photography'.  I've
got a friend who's a real dour Scot.  He uses an F5.  He can wander
through a market in Beijing and get real candid shots, even with an
enormous camera rig and the fact that his face doesn't fit.

It's very subtle, the difference in approach/personality, but it's
enough to let my friend get pictures of an old woman stirring roasting
chestnuts in a Hong Kong market, and I just get pictures of her
attacking me with a stick!

If you look at yer typical Photo Journalist (PJ) shot
(http://www.dirckhalstead.com the seven by seven article has some
superb examples), a PJ uses a 24mm lens and gets really close to the
subject, certainly close enough to get thumped.  How come all these
PJs get great pictures?  I think they're projecting a vibe which says
"Your job is unbelieavably important.  It's so important that the
presence of a guy like me is of no importance and you should pay me no
attention." And they fade into the background.

>Probably more like an eye-closing experience, isn't that what
>you mean?  No thanks, I have to wear glasses in order to see.
>The shards would be way too sharp and painful.

Once I was out with my friend mentioned above.  We were taking
pictures in one of Hong Kong's red light zones.  Two large men covered
in tattoos came up and asked us to stop taking pictures.  (Covered in
tattoos in HK means Triads, organised crime.)  My friend puts on a
dopey face and goes "we wanted to take some pictures of the night
market and someone told us it was here, but we can't find it."  Now
bear in mind that we both have 6 foot tall tripods, huge bags (Domke
J2) full of cameras, at least one camera slung around the neck, light
meters, etc.  A blind man would decide that we were a pair of pro
photogs on a job.  So this thug, with a knife in his belt, who would
normally kill anyone who talks back, gives us directions back to the
night market (a big tourist attraction) and, with a big smile, says "I
hope you like Hong Kong!"

It's a skill. Blending in, getting the "it's that bloke with the
camera again!" rather than "get that F@#$ing thing out of my F%$^ing
face!" response.  It's a tremendous talent and, from seeing pics on
Shel in action, I think he has it.  Indeed, from seeing his pictures
where his subjects are aware of him and draw him in, he definitely has
it.

dave