I never had much luck with Nimh batteries in my D or my flashes until
Rob mentioned the La Crosse charger. It charges each cell
individually, so each reaches peak voltage. It also can be used to
discharge and to cycle/refresh the batteries. I use it with 1200 Sony
batteries for my flashes, and they perform beautifully. In my D,
which is rarely in service, I use the long shelf life lithiums. No
hassle. Here''s the charger. It's on sale at Amazon: http://
www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-900-AlphaPower-Battery/dp/
B00077AA5Q/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1198691173&sr=8-3