Scott Loveless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> asked:
> Looking to pick up an acoustic guitar (of the six string variety).
> Nothing too fancy, but not department store junk, either.  Was wondering
> if a few of you could recommend something in the sub-$500 range.  I'm
> specifically not looking for "signature" guitars, acoustic-electrics, or
> anything funky.  Just the standard, run of the mill, boring guitar that
> doesn't sound like shit.

In that price range, go for a Yamaha, Seagull, or Washburn.  Basic
mass-produced guitars with no cachet at all but perfectly good sound,
feel, and playability.  I'm personaly partial to Yamaha (the 6-string
and 12-string I play on stage are both low-end Yamahas), but I've held
a couple of Seagulls I rather liked.  In all three cases, you're
looking at student-priced guitars good enough to use for real (and,
not that it's relevant in your case but I'd feel neglectful not
saying it for the benefit of anyone else reading, I wouldn't want
to hand a student anything less anyhow -- a "department store junk"
guitar is more difficult to play and can frustrate a student into
giving up).

Er ... unless Alvarez makes anything in that price range.  The Alvarez
guitars I've played have all been in the $900-$2000 range -- well out
of my reach -- but they've all felt really nice in my hands, have been
especially easy to play (I've held a couple of Alvarez 12-strings that
were easier to play barre chords on than my _electric_ guiar), and
sound good.  I don't think they make anything in the price range you
asked for, but hey, just in case I'm wrong ...

Determining exactly which sound will fit your tastes best will require
putting up with the guitar-shop jerks, of course, but all four brands
I've mentioned will well surpass your "run of the mill [...] guitar
that doesn't sound like shit" criterion.  (I can't promise they'll
be boring though.  If you like a strong-but-not-overpowering bottom
and 'warm' low-mids, for example, you may find whatever replaced the
FG-3xx series in Yamaha's lineup especially not-boring.)

I forget who makes 'em with a satin finish on the back of the neck
instead of the customary glossy -- I think it's Seagull but I'm not
sure.  If that's a feature you'd like (it does feel nice), you'll
want to look that up.

                                        -- Glenn
                                           The Homespun Ceilidh Band
                                           http://www.homespunceilidh.com