What law is it that I need to check? If you own the
rights to a company logo you have a legal claim on how
it is displayed and by whom. This doesn't apply to
newspapers and television images, however.

Reproducing logos without permission (like those in
photographs) is rarely allowed by the trademark owner.
In some cases, companies even assert tight controls
over the "shapes" of their products (like the classic
Coke bottle) and have taken folks to court to restrict
their unauthorized use.

I once submitted a shot for stock where a woman was
wearing a Tiffany & Co. necklace. In order to see the
name you would have had to magnify the image 300% and
even then only part of the logo was legible. It was
still rejected since I couldn't prove Tiffany was ok
with it through a release. I removed it in photoshop
instead.

-Brendan

http://www.adrants.com/2008/01/ford-slaps-brand-enthusiasts-returns.php