"Paris, Leonard" wrote:

> I don't doubt it a minute.  My lame little example used two identical flash
> units and a neutral density filter along with a camera that had a basic TTL
> flash capability that triggers both flashes at the same time and then
> quenches both of them at the same time, when enough light has reached the
> film.  It was meant to illustrate a very simple point.  I'm sure that there
> are no end of more complex systems that could have been delved into at great
> length but that was my little example and I'm sticking to it. :)  This
> principle, though admittedly simplified, has a certain amount of
> applicability even to the PZ-1p, the RTF, and the AF500FTZ.  The original
> question seemd to ask about ND filter use on one of the flash units. I could
> have misunderstood, I guess.

I think you made sense.  Identical power output, and same distance from
subject
for each flash means you can control "fill" from one of the flashes with
ND.
As a matter of fact, the Old Timers will tell you that you can
experiment with
layers of tissue paper rather than ND filters to do the fill.  The
general rule
of thumb is, I think, that two layers of Kleenex tissue is about 1 stop
lost.

-Lon, who rarely uses one flash and has Never Used Two.