They were just trying to protect their hair and eyebrows from
the flash.
The camera had already been focussed and the picture composed.
A slight
over-dump of flash powder could leave the photographer himself
smokin'
unless he was careful.  I don't know this first hand, but a
teacher I had as
a young lad gave me this explanation.  He ignited just a bit of
flash powder
for a demonstration, too.  After seeing that, the explanation
seemed pretty
reasonable.

Len
---

> >    - like the old time photographers with head under the
> >    largeformat focusing hood of their 5x7" or larger camera,
holding
> >    with one hand above the camera a bracket with
flashpowder...

> Smile!
>
> I have seen pictures depicting this. But since there is no way
you can see
> through a view camera once the film holder is inserted, it is
not very
> realistic.
>
> --graywolf
> -
> This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To
unsubscribe,