On Jan 20, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Bob W wrote:

> They're trying to convince people that riding to work will be a jolly
> little tootle along the canal on a sunny day, instead of the reality
> which, in my experience, is a cold sweaty grind through icy rain and
> diesel fumes over pot-holed roads,  against a headwind and into the
> teeth of an Atlantic storm, while trying to dodge psychopathic
> Sun-reading van drivers who treat you as idle sport, or the drivers of
> 40-ton trucks who crush you against a barrier*, squirting your
> entrails out of your arse and across the Walworth Road, then lumber on
> without ever realising they've done it.

About the only worries I have on my commute are broken glass on the
roads (only on a couple of streets) and drivers using cell phones.
I'm absolutely gobsmacked at the amount of people I see using one of
those things while driving.  Put the damn thing away and LEARN TO
IGNORE IT if it rings!

Oh and the other problem is one of the car yards I go past.  They
have an Aston Martin Vantage in stock so I find it difficult to watch
where I'm going on the busiest road of my commute.

I choose my commuting routes very carefully so that mostly keeps me
away from heavy traffic.  It's good to get to know the back streets
and shared paths (cyclist/walkway) through parks.  Our urban roads
are pretty wide compared to yours so space is rarely a problem.  Our
highways are a different matter.

As for the weather, a head wind is very character building :)  If
it's raining in the morning I'll grab a lift from the Mrs.  The
hardest thing about rain is that it's difficult to see through wet
glasses and being short-sighted it can get dangerous if I remove them :)

> But at least it's tax-free.

Don't say that too loudly ;)  I take it bikes are exempt from the
congestion cash-grab as well?

- Dave