Sounds like you need a real video card. Matrox's are good for 2D, but
their DirectX support sucks, as does their 3D performance. Even a
low-buck ATI or NVidia card will likely have less issues.

I'm a big fan of the ATI Radeon HD 3850. Cheapish for it's superb
performance, should run about $220CDN. 256MB card which oupterforms
anything other than it's big brother the 3870 or a NVidia 8800GT/GTS.

-Adam

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca