-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of JeffW.
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 10:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Photo printers

> If I was buying an A4 printer now I'd go for the Epson C80, which has
> individual
> carts for the inks (a major bugbear in 6 colour printers like the 1290)
> and the inks are pigmented and shouldn't fade for many years.
>
> Yes, IMO it has become much easier to get a "nice" print.  But your
particular
> interpretation of a "decent" print will determine whether the improvement
> is good enough.  Printing of colour images still seems much better than
> trying to print B&W - B&W images tend to end up with colour casts.

Two things. I find that the amount of ink left in the different colors in an
ink cartridge to be about equal when the printer indicates the cart. is
empty. I dissected a couple of used 870 carts and decided not to worry
anymore. I find I get my best B&W prints on the matte papers. I don't know
why but they seem to show the color cast less and be easier to get to a
neutral tone.

JeffW.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com