Paul,

I took a close look at the flash.
The pin arrangement looks like a 5 spot on a dice cube.
v   v
v   p
The locking pin is the front right spot on the mounted flash foot.

The pin is entirely spring loaded, ie. rolled into the locked position,
the pin sticks out but can be pushed flat and flush to the flash bottom.
(If you loaded the flash onto an old flash shoe without the locking hole,
the lock can be worked, but the pin won't go down and engage.)
The pin is loaded onto the end of a weak spring that pushes it down.

As for retracting the pin, it seems like the top of the pin has a lip
riding on the locking mechanism. I can't hold the pin "OUT" when I
swing the locking bar around toward un-FIX.  By the time the locking
ear points to the back of the camera, the pin is up.

Still it's strange.  I can't imagine that the leverage of the Fix thingie
will not put the pin out or straighten it out.

Regards,  Bob S.