Thanks Bob. I don't think I've broken it. I think it's jammed up
inside the flash. That seems to be the root of this problem. Others
have reported the same. I will have to remove the four screws. But
first I have to make or find an L-shaped screwdriver. The camera body
precludes using a normal driver.
Paul