> From: Timber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: 2008/02/05 Tue AM 01:43:19 GMT
> To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
> Subject: Re: How are you noticing the FF or BF in the K10D
>
> mike wilson wrote:
> > As I understand it, this phenomenon is when the image appears focused in
> > the viewfinder but the resultant image is focused either in front or behind
> > what appeared in the vf.
> You just described my problem :D This happens me many times that the
> picture seems sharp in the viewfinder but then the shot is backfocused
> (so the focus is behind the subject I focused). I've tried to live with
> it and take it as the problem is in me, so I always prefocused in the
> viewfinder, when it seemed sharp I just focused a little before. :D
>
> So you say I might be normal? :D
>
> Is there any way to adjust or repair this without a camera service (the
> official pentax service here is terrible)?

If you search online, you will find sites where people have measured the
problem.  Basically, you create a static setup with your camera and a target
(usually a measuring scale) focus clearly on one part of the target (a specific
number on the scale) with a wide aperture lens for reduced DOF and see if the
resultant image agrees with what you see in the viewfinder.  It might be worth
obtaining a VF aid to magnify what you see, for greater accuracy.  So, on a
metric scale, you might focus on 10mm.  When you look at the print/monitor, you
find that the image has a focus on 10.4mm (it being further away from you) and
you can say that the camera backfocuses.

Oddly, it may misfocus at different amounts with different lenses.  Or not at
all, with some.

There is a documented way of accessing the firmware in the Pentax DSLRs to
adjust (unfortunately, by trial and error only) the problem.

Or you can send it in under warranty or throw money at it.