In a message dated 2/5/2008 11:19:17 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Let's use the democrats as an  example, since I actually know a couple of
their names.
In the present  campaign then, the primaries would be determining if Obama or
Clinton would  be the candidate in the real election, which isn't really an
election since  some other electing body (the Electoral College?) actually
elects the  president based on lord only knows what criteria?

I think my eyes are  bleeding.

Gads, I suppose I should just google this.

William  Robb

============
Technically. But I think only two times in history  (okay, maybe a few more
but I'd have to look it up), has the popular vote and  the electoral vote
differed. The thing that's throwing you is that one of those  times was the
Gore/Bush election, but that was the first time since I don't know  when, ages
ago.
Gore had more popular votes and Bush had more electoral votes.  (Someone really
wants to get precise about it, feel free to jump  in.)

That part is a bit Byzantine, I agree. And periodically people get  steamed
up about doing away with the electoral college. But to date, it hasn't
happened.

The historical roots for that are that originally only white  men could vote
(not women, not blacks, etc.) and they didn't trust the unwashed  masses and
wanted to limit the power of the popular vote. Of course, now it's  one person,
one vote, and I think we could well do away with the electoral  college.
Smaller states with low population though like it because it gives them  more
say.

Sure you could, re google, but heck we can give you the  Reader's Digest
version. :-)

The thing is what a big country we are, it  slows everything down. And it
costs a lot these days to win an election, so it  all takes time. But I
wouldn't
mind it being a tad quicker.

The other  confusing thing is political pundits (and ordinary people) will
discuss  someone's future election chances years before the primaries even roll
around.  It doesn't mean the election has started, it just means we are always
talking  about future elections, four and eight years down the road too. They
were  talking about Hillary's chances years and years ago. So all of that
future  speculation also makes it look longer than it really is. It really
takes
about a  year, but that included prep time, not the primaries. Primaries to
general vote  take less than a year (and if someone wants to be specific about
that, jump  right in.) Bit late here and my brain is a bit fogged.

HTH, Marnie

Warning: I am  now filtering my email, so you may be censored.

48)