----- Original Message -----
From: "Cotty"
Subject: Re: Oh, the temptation...

>> DA*200/2.8.
>
> Forgive my ignorance (and it is great), but why would anyone want a
> prime lens at this length when a 70 or 80 - 200 2.8 zoom is available
> (assuming of course optical performance of the zoom matches up to the
> prime) ?

I've yet to see a zoom lens that can match an excellent quality prime lens
in overall imaging quality. Zooms are generally not as sharp, though they
may be fairly close, but tend to have more optical aberrations and flare.
This is also not adressing size and weight issues, while both lenses would
be big, my guess is the zoom would be bigger and heavier.
Consequently, your parenthesized bit obviates your question.

William Robb