The current crop of digital sensors aren't able to capture the full
resolution that the best prime lenses are capable of.  That kind of
levels Primes and Zooms as far as resolution is concerned.  I expect
that the new 14mp sensor in the K20 will more readily show the
difference.  On film I only had two zooms that had resolution that
rivaled my best prime lenses.  But those were rather special.
Additionally to really take advantage of the greater resolving power of
prime lenses extra care in focusing and camera steadiness was required.
I seldom bother since that tends to negate one of the advantage of a
"mini format", which is portability, even when using what is by
comparison a honking big lens.

--
I am personally a member of the Cream of the Illuminati.
A union with the Bavarian Illuminati is contemplated.