On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:16 AM, William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I've yet to see a zoom lens that can match an excellent quality prime lens
>  in overall imaging quality. Zooms are generally not as sharp, though they
>  may be fairly close, but tend to have more optical aberrations and flare.
>  This is also not adressing size and weight issues, while both lenses would
>  be big, my guess is the zoom would be bigger and heavier.

I don't really buy the sharpness argument for primes, either at the
pixel-peeping or holistic level.  I've looked and looked and maybe my
eyes aren't good enough.   But for me, the smaller/lighter issue is
huge, I want to be able to carry the camera around in one hand all
day.

Even more important is the fact that with a prime, you can shoot
faster, because there's one less thing to twiddle before you click.
Compose with your whole body then tune the composition in Lightroom or
equivalent.  I've ranted on this twice, in reviews of the 40mm and
21mm Pentax Pancake Primes:

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2007/04/27/Pentax-P-DA-40mm
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2007/05/24/Pentax-SMC-DA-21mm

-T