I have been using for about a month now the SMC PENTAX-A 24-50/4.0
Zoom almost exclusively ( mostly product photos for ebay on
tabletop ) on my *istDS DSLR. Its a two ring zoom so you never
get any annoying "zoom creep" and it holds focus perfectly
when zooming. The F4 speed is a little slow but the lens is so
contrasty that its easy to focus at 50mm ( I use a split image
screen - third party model - in my *istDS ). Anyway, after you
figure in the 1.5X lens factor you are left with a 35mm SLR
equiv of 36mm to 75mm which is a very versatile "super normal"
lens. This model is extremely contrasty, great color saturation,
and freedom from flaring. It works beautifully for tabletop
product photography. I have never needed wider or longer, as it
has a pretty decent magnification at 50mm and min focus. The constant
aperture (F4 thru the zoom range) is great when using manual full
power flash like I like to do.

Anyway, if you do a lot of ebay or similar product photography for web,
I recommend this lens very highly. Much more versitile than a
prime or macro 50mm with the 24m capability.

I must add I have never used the stock 18-55mm that was sold
with the camera, but I doubt it can match this lens, let alone
beat it. Maybe it can? Anyone ever compared the two in the 24-50mm
range?

jco