DOF is ALWAYS an issue with product photography which is
what I really meant to say instead of general purpose.
I just find the 24-50 in the F11toF22 range with product
photography to be ideal and I know how good good is I also
have the A50/2.8 Macro which is stunningly good but you
only can see it in a 6Mp image , not the ebay stuff I am
doing. On second thought I ahould give it another
proviso. The A24-50 is probably the best lens out there
for EBAY PRODUCT photos in terms of overall quality and
versatility for the job, and it's a small package no less.

I first started using the 50mmA/2.8 macro but sometimes
I was forced to change to 28 or 35mm lenses because the
object was too large for my studio when using the 50.
I then switched to a fantastic cult classic, my 35-70
Tokina AT-X F2.8 constant. Way more versatile than a fixed
50mm for ebay product shots. I occasionally still needed
to go wider than 35mm and then finally switched to the
A24-50/4. Its contrasty enough to easily focus at 50
and then zoom back to need AOV. I have learned by
distance the correct fstops with the full on manual
on board flash of the istDS. I am getting exposures
in the F8 to F22 range, mostly F16 and the DOF at that
f-stop and focal range is very good for my needs. And
Im getting that kind of exposure at ISO200 which is
best speed for the camera. I also find that the extreme
DOF makes the focus less critical which is always good
for speeding up the shooting process, there are never
any shots/time wasted for being out of focus ever. Sharpness
at F16 is still pretty damn good on this lens, no, not
as good as a good lens at a wider f-stop but more than
sufficient for the job at hand. I actually enjoy doing
ebay shooting now, when I was using an AF digital point
and shoot, I dreaded it.

JCO