I shoot both the *ist-D and the *ist-Ds I find both to have their pusses
and minuses.  However they are essentially the same camera.  I haven't
much experience with later models, but I found all of the *ist-D[x]
cameras and the K1xxD cameras that I handled to be essentially the same,
for handling at least.  The K10D until the K20D was released was in the
same position as the *ist-D kind of a one off but a much larger camera,
though in real terms the size difference between the *ist-D[x]/K1xxD and
the K10D was about the same as between a MX and an LX.  No the anomalous
DSLR in the Pentax family is the one I have no hope of owning or even
holding, the MR-52/MZ-D/K1D, (depending on which designation you
prefer).  Different materials, (titanium body shell?), different
interface, (requires lenses with an aperture ring), full frame sensor,
aperture simulator, very expensive, (in the $5000+ dollar range).
Aiming more or less for the same market as the Leica 8M, where as the
current offerings are aiming for working wedding photographers and
experienced amateurs/semi pro photographers who want the most value for
their money.

--
Vote for Cthulhu. Why settle for a lesser evil...
   -- Dr. Jerry Pournelle