----- Original Message -----
From: "Godfrey DiGiorgi"
Subject: Re: DA35/2.8 Macro Samples (unofficial)

> I like fast lenses too ... that's why I bought the Leica 25/1.4 for
> the L1 ... and why I have the 43/1.9 for the Pentax. Between f/1.4
> and f/2 is a stop, nice but not critical in my definition of "fast".
> That stop costs a lot in size, weight, money etc while usually not
> providing all that much additional in way of performance.
> Particularly when we have cameras that can support ISO 800 to 3200
> with such quality as we do now.

The extra stop of speed is a nice complement to the high ISO support. That
extra stop gives the
auto focus a lot more to work with. When I bought my 50mm f/1.2 lens, it wasn't
because I
intended to shoot at f1.2, it was because I wanted all the screen brightness I
could get for
focusing at dimly lit venues, and I found that the 1/3 stop of viewfinder
brightness it gave me
over an f/1.4 lens was of benefit.
Your definiton of fast matters to me about as much as my definition of it
matters to you, so
there really is no basis for your pushing your definitions down anyone's throat.

William Robb