Hate to be a pest but......

New machine is up and running (eventually: the "reset" button was stuck
in, so it took me two days to work out why there was no "POST") and I
have, somewhat against my better judgement, installed XP Pro.  I am
beginning to realise why so many people liken it to tinnitus or toothache.

So:
1. How do you get "Explorer" (not IE) to open with the "folder" pane active?
2. How do you stop the irritating messages ("Your computer may be in
danger!" [of being thrown out of the house] "Wireless network is
connected.  Signal strength - very good" "Click on the balloon to make
it go away") from appearing?

I'm sure there will be more but those irritations will do for now.