- I've been on many a photo expedition with nothing but a normal lens
and gotten great results. On the Pentax DSLRs that would be 35mm, so
40mm is in the ballpark.

- However, it's a trade off between that and the 21mm. So my choice
would be to take the 21mm and the 40mm or 43mm. Both lenses are so
small that they are not a problem to carry anywhere in a tiny bag.

- If I were only taking just one lens, I'd probably want a 28mm.

- On my last trip to the IoM in 2006, the 21mm took more than 50% of
the photos out of the 21-35-77 trio. On my Dec 2007 trip to NY, the
43mm tool more than 50% of the photos out of the 21-43-70 trio.

But any of the above would do fine: 21, 28, 35, 40 or 43 mm ... I'd
just adapt my shooting to fit what I had with me.

Godfrey