----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> In order to hook up a scanner I need a USB port or Firewire, right.
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

You CAN use a parallel port (printer port) scanner.  I had to resort to this
after several USB scanners failed to work in my system's configuration (it
seems like my printer driver was dis-allowing the USB to function properly-
go figure).
The USB is faster and a bit better than sharing the parallel port with my
printer (a new printer now, but I still have the PP scanner).  I don't know
much about firewire.

Cory Waters