One recent example of the random delay effect of point and shoot -
I dislike the delay too, but here I got a result I did not expect.
(not that that doesn't happen more often :-/ :-)

I pressed the button, then decided to change the orientation,
and while turning the camera it clicked.  (pentax W30)

for those who want to avoid cats:
there is one in the pic, but not very recognizable.

http://picasaweb.google.com/axelpics/General/photo#5205117255886462338

Axel. (occasionally shooting, mostly snaps of the family)