P. J. Alling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Someone else has probably already told you this, but using an Analog TTL
> flash with the *ist-D is easy as pie.  Just mount the flash as normal,
> (for the Super Program), set the ISO to 400, (it's a bit less finicky on
> exposures at that ISO.  The *ist-Ds works better with TTL, but you
> should still get decent results if you don't expect perfect consistency,
> and turn on the flash.  When the capacitor charges the shutter will be
> set to the proper speed and you're ready to go in any shooting mode
> except manual.  In manual mode you'll have to select the shutter speed
> you want to use, the camera won't select if for you unless it's already
> above X sync, (1/150 sec), where it will automatically set to X.

Nope, none of that.  Which, as I think I remembered to mention
elsethread (I hope), leads me to suspect that my Pentax compatible
flash isn't quite as Pentax-compatible as I had thought.  *sigh*

I got lucky with it shooting macro -- I just happened to pick an
aperture that was right for the flash going full-bore at the
distance I was using -- but more thorough tests show the camera
completely failing to control the flash.

So until I get ahold of an actual Pentax flash to try, I'll assume
that either this Vivitar is damaged or isn't designed to do TTL
right.  Bleah.

But I can still use it with the flash on "auto" and the camera
on "manual".  And the pop-up flash on the camera carries farther
than I thought it would (though it casts a shadow using the Sigma
28-135/3.8-5.6).  So I'm not going to worry about it too much until
I have a known-for-sure-compatible flash in my hand to experiment
with.

Still, if I do solve this problem, it'll certainly come in handy
for macro.

In the meantime, anybody got any tricks for getting a cat to hold
still while you try to take a macro shot of her eye?

                                        -- Glenn