-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Richard Seaman
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 10:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HELP: my MZ-5 thinks 1/60th is a great flash sync speed!

Tom,

    The MZ-5 can display "100", in fact it can display all the valid speeds
up to and including "2000".

    I'm hoping that the camera WAS using 1/100th but displaying 1/60th.  I'm
wondering if the film would have been properly exposed (ie, flash output
over the whole film area) if the camera was operating at 1/60th.  Would both
shutter curtains be open simultaneously at 1/60th?  I suppose they would.

    Of course, 1/60th sucks as a flash sync speed - 1/100th is bad enough.
I'm surprised the MZ-S has a top speed of only 1/180, compared to the Z-1's
1/250.  The MZ-S's high-speed sync with the new flash unit doesn't count for
me, because of the type of photography I do - my subject is often 20, 30 or
more feet away from me.  When using high-speed sync, the guide number falls
to virtually nothing!

Richard.

home page:  www.richard-seaman.com