On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Kent Gittings wrote:

> Camera doesn't know the focal length of the lens only the amount of light
> getting through which is very low at that end. The lens only sends aperture
> into or in A mode the camera sets the aperture to the lens.
> Kent Gittings

This is probably true of the MZ-5, but just as a FYI, I've heard that the
MZ-7 and newer Pentaxes do communicate focal length information to the
body.  That's why, on "portrait" mode, they'll select a large aperture
when the lens is zoomed in (to blur the background behind a person) and a
much smaller one when the lens is set to a wider angle (it assumes you're
doing a group shot and tries to maximize your DOF).  Note that I've never
actually tested this myself to see if it's true; that's just what I've
heard from my Pentax rep.

chris