I got to play with a Canon Powershot G9 last weekend.  Shutter
delay wasn't an issue.  Admittedly most of the time I wouldn't
have noticed it, anyway - I was half-pressing the shutter to
see which AF point it was choosing (a habit I've got into with
my DSLRs; although I generally have the AF set to "select", not
to "auto", it's too easy to nudge the four-way controller with
my nose).  Once the AF is done, even my ancient Powershot G1
was quite responsive.   But I did try a couple of shots where
I just pointed-and-clicked, and found it to be quite speedy.