I'm using batteries from both power pak and flash, as you are.  Could
be freshness of batteries in either one or you are not fully
discharging.  My method of testing was to set the flash to manual
(full discharge) and then fire it from the test button.

I have the Lumiquest, Pocket Bouncer, UltraSoft and SoftBox.  The
Ultrasoft does the best with reducing hot spots, but sucks a lot of
power.  The Softbox still can create hot spots on the face especially
at closer distances.  None of them are versatile enough by themselves.

I'll do some looking at the Gary Fong stuff (I did a year or so ago
and just didn't get enough REAL information to make a move).  I was
thinking he had come out with a new version called a Whale Tail or
some such.

--
Best regards,
Bruce