Could you help settle a debate?

Suppose I have a variable aperture zoom lens, say 28-80mm f3.5-f5.6
If I set the zoom at 28mm, and set the aperture wide open, it should be
f3.5. If I then zoom to 80mm, the effective aperture goes down to f5.6,
right? And if I zoom to 50mm, the aperture will be somewhere in between, say
f4 maybe.

Now suppose I set my zoom to 50mm @ f8.
If I zoom out to 28mm, will the effective aperture stay at f8?
If I zoom in to 80mm, will the effective aperture stay at f8?

In other words, how can I tell if I'll really get f8 when I set it to f8?

Thanks,
Mike Nosal