On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'll say this and no more: when you ~manually~ set the aperture, the
> "variable aperture" becomes a "preset" (by you) aperture. Nothing you do
> while zooming will (can) change the aperture until (you) change it to a
> different setting.
[snip]
> **And it does not matter whether you set it wide open or close it down all
> the way. The aperture CANNOT (does not) change until you change it-period.

I don't think this is true.  If you take a variable-aperture zoom lens,
like the 28-80/3.5-5.6 and set the aperture ring to "3.5", then the
camera's LCD shows f3.5 at the 28mm setting.  But as you zoom in, *without
touching the aperture ring*, the real aperture (as shown on the LCD) will
gradually change until it's at f5.6 at 80mm... even though the lens has
been set manually to f3.5.  So I think you're wrong here, but it's
possible that I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say.

chris