Scott,

On the M28/2.8:  This was my 3rd lens purchase years ago.
I was never very happy with the overall sharpness in my slides and film.
I've had two copies that developed sticky aperture and needed cleaning.

On the A28/2.8:  This lens has a plastic aperture ring.
The metal lock-outs for the A button came loose and jammed the whole ring.
I think the picture quality was better than the M, but I don't have as
much experience with it.

The F28/2.8 and K30/2.8 are both 2-4X as expensive as the M or A.
The series-II M28/2.8 is as rare as the F28/2.8 or K30/2.8.
You may find one for a good price because of seller ignorance.
(Look for a 28mm without the silver ring on the tip.-see Boz)

Regards,  Bob S.