On Aug 5, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Timber wrote:

> Probably most of you heard about the new Micro Four Thirds system.
> Long
> story short: Oly/Pana is working on an interchangeable compact
> camera :D
>
> I believe this will bring a 'revolution' to low-price segment of
> photography by creating a new 'category', the interchangeable compacts
> (kicking bridge category in the rear) or it will fail and will be
> just a
> bad experiment.
>
> What do you think? Will it influence the DSLR market anyhow?

If they build a camera per the brief I sent them a few months ago, I
could do 90% or more of my work with it instead of bulkier, heavier,
noisier SLRs.

I personally don't really want it to be low-price if that implies some
kind of consumer quality bridge camera. I want a professional quality
camera, akin to what I used to work with in my Leica Ms, with lenses
to match. I know Olympus and Panasonic/Leica have the optics
experience to do it. What the decide upon per the market is the
question.

Godfrey
--

my camera brief ... Summarizing:

- not an SLR ... optical-electronic interface RF with AF option
- use the 4/3 10Mpixel sensor and SSWF cleaning system
- form factor target: the overall size and shape of a Leica CL
- use a short register to allow for more compact lenses and Leica M-
bayonet lens adaptability
- simple control layout similar to L1
- high quality, weatherproof build like E-1, E-3 etc
- fully dedicated hot shoe flash
- standard small clip-on, bounce-capable flash to keep compact
- high quality in-camera optical tunnel viewfinder for a dedicated set
of fully compatible, fast, compact prime lenses (eg: 12/2.8, 19/2,
25/1.4, 35/2, 50/2)
- 100% dedicated compatibility with all existing 4/3 DSLR lenses using
full function adapter (use EVF/LCD for precision framing/focusing with
zooms)
- compatibility with M-bayonet lenses through adapter with mechanical/
electronic coupling for RF focusing; clip on optical viewfinders and
EVF/LCD functional too